Small Steps Make A Big Difference
Welcome to Northeastern’s celebration of Cybersecurity Awareness Month! Each October is dedicated to educating and informing Northeastern about the various threats that exist in the digital world, such as cyberattacks, phishing, malware, and more. You’re invited to participate with the Office of Information Security at various events and increase your cybersecurity knowledge to help keep Northeastern secure.
Week 1: Work Securely
Working in a secure manner doesn’t only apply to campus. Northeastern is a global university with individuals working from all different kinds of devices and locations. The resources below help keep your Northeastern account and systems secure, so you can work in a safe environment no matter where you are.
- Coming soon: Required annual Security Training will be sent by email (faculty and staff only)
- Visit the resources page for tips on practicing good cyber hygiene.
- Read 3 Steps for Updating Security Settings on Home Wi-Fi Networks.
- Read about safer web browsing.
Week 2: Recognize and Report Phishing
Northeastern strives to take every precaution to prevent scams, but even the strongest email security protocols are susceptible to occasional phishing or unauthorized emails. Use the tips and resources below to better know how to recognize and report fraudulent emails.
Week 3: Protect Data
Protecting Northeastern’s information assets is critical. All members of the Northeastern community have a responsibility to ensure that data is protected and used according to its purpose. This week, take a moment to learn how to keep your data secure.
- Week of Oct. 16: Take a quiz to test your cybersecurity knowledge.
Week 4: Preserve Privacy
In an ever-evolving digital world, safeguarding personal information is crucially important. Northeastern considers privacy a top priority and undertakes many steps to protect data. Explore proactive strategies to help preserve privacy for both you and the Northeastern community.
- October 23: Data Destruction Day (Boston and Oakland campuses)
- October 27: Compliance Colloquia: Is Privacy Dead – Risks and Challenges with AI
- Read Tips for Protecting Personally Identifiable Information
- Read Understanding Generative AI Chatbot Threats
- Protect Northeastern personal information using a Data Processing Addendum
Test your cybersecurity knowledge!
Thanks for participating in Cybersecurity Awareness Month! Let's see how much you know about keeping your data safe and secure.